I made these for dinner last night and they were quite wonderful. If you are growing jalapeños in your garden (and why wouldn’t you) this is a great use of them. If you are not growing jalapeños, shame on you. I used shredded cheddar cheese and it didn’t work well. Next time I will either use slices of cheese or bake them on a silpat. I may even try jack cheese instead of cheddar. Adapted from Simply Recipes.
- 12 large jalapeño peppers, 24 small ones
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cheddar or jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Slice the top off of the jalapeños then slice in half lengthwise. Scrape out all the seeds and ribs from each jalapeño with a spoon (a grapefruit would work great, I used the tip of a vegetable peeler).
- Mix together onion, cilantro, cream cheese, cumin, granulated garlic, and salt.
- Pack the filling into the peppers then top with cheddar cheese. Arrange the peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, and the peppers are cooked.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving or you’ll burn the roof of your mouth. Makes 1-2 servings.