Follow up on my goals for 2014:
- Master the Traeger grill. I have used the Traeger nearly as much as I’d hoped this year. In fact during the summer I was using it for preparing dinner at least 2-3 times a week. I’ve routinely used it for chicken breasts, beef brisket, buffalo wings, pork shoulder, pork tenderloin, salmon filet, turkey burgers, and corn on the cob. In April I was asked to make up some pulled pork for a family get together and the end product was very well received. I was just asked to cook the meat for a family Christmas party, so I’m feeling good about my skills on the Traeger. My only regret is that I haven’t cooked a pizza on it yet. If you are Traeger curious, here are some recipes I’ve been fine tuning to my tastes: Beef Brisket and the dry rub recipe I use, BBQ ribs and the dry rub for that, and Pulled Pork where I use either rub (or some of both).
- Get rid of some stuff. Both Lauren and I went through our wardrobes and thinned out clothes we hadn’t worn recently. I got rid of all my baseball and football jerseys except for one, mainly because I’m a smaller shirt size these days. I think I’ve made half a dozen trips to Goodwill this year, which is about what I was hoping for.
- Play host. No dining room table yet, but we did have a run of a few months where at least once a week we’d have friends or family over for dinner. That was nice.
- Organize my house. We set some money aside for Elfa closet organizers in our master bedroom closet and I think it turned out really well. So well in fact, we purchased Elfa for our bonus room for some wall-to-wall shelving and a floating entertainment console. That turned out really well too. Also we found a great deal on some storage crates and loaded up; now finally we can put some stuff away into our attic storage. I also spent a couple days reorganizing the attic storage space to make space for the baby swing and the baby jumperoo and to put the Christmas decorations in an more accessible spot. I still need a better place to put my wallet and car keys when I walk in the house.
My goals for 2015:
- Cook Large Primal Cuts. This Christmas I got two massive books on cuts of meat and how to cook them. In 2014 I’ve done, at any given time, two racks of ribs or a turkey or a 6 pound brisket. In 2015 I want to go bigger. I want to cook a standing rib roast, or 6 racks of ribs, or maybe grind my own sausage.
- Get at least 6 haircuts. This probably sounds stupid, but for as long as I can remember I’ve just let my hair grow until it annoys me then I pay $10 for a “Number 2 All Over”. My last haircut I actually decided to get a cut and style and I actually quite liked the results. So I’m gonna try it out for a year.
- MCSA. This isn’t exactly my idea and isn’t exactly what I would like to pursue, but it seems that this is the way my company is heading: getting everyone certified. Won’t kill me and I might actually learn something.
- Drop More Weight. I started 2014 weighing 267. In July, my wife and I began AdvoCare and I started shedding pounds. My lowest weigh-in of 2014 (just before Christmas) was at 232, which is the lowest I’ve weighed since college. 35 pounds, gone. I want to do that again. I want to be under 200 pounds by this time next year.